At Tutanota, every member of our development team is very passionate about privacy, security and open source. We work on Tutanota not just because it is a job, but because it is very fulfilling to work on someting with a meaning: We work on a product that enables everyone to protect their private data and with every new user who joins Tutanota, we feel like this is another tiny victory against surveillance capitalism.
We understand that we still have a long way to go until we can fully match the product of surveillance capitalists such as Google or Microsoft, but our development progress in recent years has made great leaps so that we are ready to scale Tutanota to new levels!
- In 2014 we published the fully encrypted Tutanota email client, iOS and Android apps.
- In 2015 we introduced first paid features such as custom domain support.
- In 2017 we published a completely new version of Tutanota with better speed & design.
- In 2018 we published the Tutanota desktop clients for Linux, Mac OS and Windows in beta.
- In 2019 we published the beta version of the encrypted calendar and started compressing emails to give you more storage space.
- In 2021 we pushed the Tutanota desktop clients out of beta after an extensive security review.
- In 2021 we completed a first prototype for updating our encryption to post-quantum secure algorithms.
- In 2022 we added offline mode so that you can access your encrypted mailbox, calendar and contacts also when not connected to the internet.
- Our next large features that we are already working on are conversation view and email import.
Best in class security
Here are the most important features that make Tutanota's security unrivaled:
- end-to-end encrypted mailbox
- end-to-end encrypted address book
- automatic end-to-end encrypted emails between users
- end-to-end encrypted emails to any email address via a password
- secure password reset that gives us absolutely no access
- full-text search of encrypted data executed locally
- TLS with support of PFS, DMARC, DKIM, DNSSEC, MTA-STS
- GDPR-compliant email service with built-in encryption
Our goal with Tutanota is to make security easily accessible to everyone. That's why we strongly focus on usability and convenience. The entire encryption process runs in the background, and you can use Tutanota as easily as any email service.
You can use Tutanota with absolute certainty that you will never pay with your data.
Some features in Tutanota are only available to paying users. With every upgrade (starting at 1 Euro per month), you support us and our mission to bring privacy to the world! Thank you.
- Send / receive end-to-end encrypted emails via webmail
- Automatic encryption of subject, body and attachments
- External recipients can answer with an encrypted email (password exchange needed)
- Encrypted storing of all contacts
- Send / receive 'normal' emails, but stored encrypted
- Delete emails physically
- Apps for Android & iOS
- Folder management
- 31 languages available, more will come
- Choose from several free domains
- Up-to-date SSL-configuration, plus support of PFS
- Published Tutanota client code as open source
- Prevent automatic image loading to protect your privacy
- Spam protection
- Custom domain support
- Upgrading existing account for business use
- Adding aliases
- Enabling export of emails
- Added Signatures
- Inbox rules / filter
- Multiple email selection
- Adding storage
- Adding more aliases
- Combining multiple Tutanota accounts
- Improved design & speed
- Contact import
- Two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Full-text search
- Update Android app (speed, design, 2FA, search, contact import)
- Add Android app to F-Droid without Google Push to make Tutanota the best for open source emails
- Update iOS app (speed, design, 2FA, search, contact import)
- Secure password reset
- Push new client out of beta
- Desktop clients (Mac OS, Linux, Windows)
- HTML writing tools
- Show unread emails per folder
- Add Let's Encrypt for whitelabel domains
- Add the encrypted contact form Secure Connect
- Became a green email service
- Free encrypted calendar (beta)
- Customize notification email
- Add DKIM support for custom domains
- Add U2F support for Firefox
- Add double-tap to zoom to apps
- Activated compression of emails
- Improve protection against phishing emails
- Calendar invites via iCal
- Buy gift cards
- Add out of office notifications
- Allow-list for trusted senders to load images automatically
- Spell check added to the desktop clients
- Push desktop clients out of beta
- Add Pin & biometrics unlock to apps
- Add U2F support to the desktop clients
- Enable offline usage
- Sender name per alias
- Add share-to feature for iOS app
- Support FIDO U2F for mobile apps
- Add email subfolders
- Conversation view
- Advanced calendar even repeat rules
- Enable sending group emails
- Default email app on iOS
- Enable search in calendar
- Enable import of emails
- Single click email export
- Enable shared email accounts
- Push encrypted calendar out of beta
- Add payment support for cryptocurrencies
- Better contact integration on iOS / Android
- Add Autocrypt support
- Full unicode emoji support
- Add Tor onion service
- Encrypted cloud storage
- Protection against email bombs
You can always check the Tutanota Roadmap to see what we are currently working on.